Journey Sunday Worship
This Thing Called Grace: It's Crazy Amazing
October 25th, 2020
Matthew 20:1-16 (ESV)
1For the kingdom of heaven is like a master of a house who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. 2 After agreeing with the laborers for a denarius[a] a day, he sent them into his vineyard. 3 And going out about the third hour he saw others standing idle in the marketplace, 4 and to them he said, ‘You go into the vineyard too, and whatever is right I will give you.’ 5 So they went. Going out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour, he did the same. 6 And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing. And he said to them, ‘Why do you stand here idle all day?’ 7 They said to him, ‘Because no one has hired us.’ He said to them, ‘You go into the vineyard too.’ 8 And when evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last, up to the first.’ 9 And when those hired about the eleventh hour came, each of them received a denarius. 10 Now when those hired first came, they thought they would receive more, but each of them also received a denarius. 11 And on receiving it they grumbled at the master of the house, 12 saying, ‘These last worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat.’ 13 But he replied to one of them, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14 Take what belongs to you and go. I choose to give to this last worker as I give to you. 15 Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?’ 16 So the last will be first, and the first last.”
God's Grace is a gift -vs 5
- We are like the workers and want to demand grace.
- God’s grace is granted according to How He wants to grant it.
Grace keeps us from being tough on ourselves
- We need to Let our confidence and joy in this life be based not on what we have or do not have or on what we do, or don’t do.
- Our confidence is on WHO we have!
Grace makes us equal - vs 12
- In the economy of grace, we are all equal.
- We want grace for ourselves, and our grace always seems good and nice and right but grace given to others frustrates us.
- We have to Be gracious with others.
Grace offers a fresh start- vs 16
- Grace is not about finishing first. It is not about finishing last. It’s about not counting at all.
- It’s about not keeping score.
- It’s about having a fresh start whenever you want it.
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see!