Journey Sunday Worship
ReThink Jesus- His Glory, Not Ours
July 12th, 2020
John 17:1-5 (ESV)
17 When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.
Jesus show us how we give God all the glory.:
Go after God's Glory (vs 1, 4-5)
- Live the glory of God-driven life.
- The greatest good we can do is to always seek God’s glory.
- We exist for one primary purpose and that is to give glory to God.
- Live out the truth of Psalm 115:1 : "Not to us, O Lord, not to us but to your name be the glory."
Embrace Eternal Life (vs 2-3)
- You must surrender your life to Him in order to experience eternal life.
- It is when we have a relationship of knowing, we can experience the abundant life right now.
Rest in His finished work (vs 4)
- What Jesus accomplished on the cross is complete and totally finished.
- Jesus’ strategy for reaching the world was to pour himself into people.
Look into the Glory to Come (vs 5)
- The cross is the way home to the Father, the bridge to glory, where Jesus will be restored.
So what do we do from here?
- Work at doing everything for God's glory.
- What are you doing right now that does not bring glory to God?
- Parents, teach and train your children to live the glory driven-life.
- Completely surrender, declaring God sovereign over every area of our lives.
The truth is…it’s not all about you or me…it’s all about God and His glory.